Research Grant Awarded
TIME (Tools, Information, Motivation and Environment) for Health:
A multi-level intervention to promote healthy eating in children and their families
Members of the Faculty of Health Professions at Dalhousie and the Atlantic Health Promotion Research Centre (AHPRC) have been awarded a $600,000 grant from the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada (HSFC) and Canadian Institute of Health Research (CIHR) Strategic Funding initiative on the Built Environment: Population Health Intervention Research.
The project, entitled TIME (Tools, Information, Motivation, Environment) for health: A multi-level intervention to promote healthy eating in children and their families. was one of only three funded across Canada. Dr. Kirk and her team will design, implement and evaluate a multi-level intervention aimed at improving family nutrition habits and incorporating a change in the built environment of recreational facilities to increase healthy food availability. The project will begin in early 2011 and will last for 3 years.
Co-Principal Investigators of the project are:
- Dr. Sara Kirk - School of Health Adminstration (SHA) and AHPRC Research Associate
- Daniel Rainham - Elizabeth May Chair in Sustainability and Environmental Health and AHPRC Research Associate
Co-investigators from the Faculty of Health Professions are:
- Cindy Shearer - AHPRC
- Andrea Chircop - School of Nursing
- Raewyn Bassett - Faculty of Health Professions (FHP)
- Celeste Alvaro - AHPRC
- Laurene Rehman - Health and Human Performance (HAHP)
- Chris Blanchard - Medicine and AHPRC Research Associate
- Raza Abidi - Health Informatics
- Dave Molloy - Nova Scotia Department of Health Promotion and Protection
- Invited commentary Running away with the facts on food and fatness »
Kirk SF, Penney TL, Freedhoff Y. (2010). Public Health Nutrition
13:147-148 Cambridge University Press.
- Moving governmental policies beyond a focus on individual lifestyle: some insights from complexity and critical theories »
C. Alvaro, L.A. Jackson, S. Kirk, T.L. McHugh, J. Hughes, A. Chircop and R.F. Lyons (2010). Health Promotion International Published by Oxford University Press.
- Interventions to change the behaviour of health professionals and the organisation of care to promote weight reduction in overweight and obese people »
KFlodgren G, Deane K, Dickinson HO, Kirk S, Alberti H, Beyer FR,
Brown JG, Penney TL, Summerbell CD, & Eccles MP. (2010). Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, issue 3. Art. No.: CD000984.
- Managing Obesity in Healthcare Settings: Stigma or Support? »
Sara F.L. Kirk, & Tarra L. Penney.. (2010). Obesity and Weight Management, February 2010, 6(1): 21-24. © Mary Ann Liebert, Inc. .
- Characterizing the obesogenic environment: the state of the evidence with directions for future research »
S.F.L. Kirk, T.L. Penney and T.-L.F. McHugh. (2010). Obesity Reviews Feb;11(2):109-17. Epub 2009 Jun 2. © 2009 International Association for the Study of Obesity.
- The state of obesity management for women giving birth in Atlantic Canada »
Kirk SFL, Cramm CL, Price SL, Penney TL, Jarvie L, & Power H. (2010). Maternal and Child Health Journal, Feb;11(2):109-17. Epub 2009 Jun 2. © 2009 International Association for the Study of Obesity.
- Use and cost of health services among overweight and obese Canadian children »
Stefan Kuhle, Sara Kirk, Arto Ohinmaa, Yutaka Yasui, Alexander C. Allen & Paul J. Veugelers. (2010). International Journal of Pediatric Obesity Early Online, 1–7. Posted online September 27, 2010.
- Exploring cues to sedentary behaviour as processes of physical activity
action control »
Ryan E. Rhodes, Chris M. Blanchard and Kai H. Bellows. (2008). Psychology of Sport and Exercise, Volume 9, Issue 2, March 2008, Pages 211-224.
- Do physical activity beliefs differ by age and gender? »
Rhodes RE, Blanchard CM, and Blacklock RE. (2008). Journal of Sport & Exercise Psychology Jun;30(3):412-423.
- Psychosocial correlates of cardiorespiratory fitness and muscle strength in overweight and obese post-menopausal women: a MONET study »
Karelis AD, Fontaine J, Messier V, Messier L, Blanchard C, Rabasa-Lhoret R and Strychar I. (2008). Journal of Sport Sciences Jul;26(9):935-40.
Find a complete list of related publications »
- November 27, 2012: Healthy Workplace Profiles:
Atlantic Health Promotion Research Centre (AHPRC)
- November 6, 2012: The 4th Conference on Recent Advances in the Prevention and Management of Childhood and Adolescent Obesity
- September 12, 2012: Improving Research Impact through Knowledge Translation Training
- August 16, 2012: Still Alive: Understanding the Experiences of HIV patients in Nova Scotia
- July 16, 2012: Awards and Appointments at AHPRC
- June 8, 2012: Balancing the Scales - Promoting Healthy Weight Management without Blame or Shame
- June 7, 2012: Making the healthy choice the easy choice
- June 5, 2012: 4 Years, 380 Youth, and over 76 Million Data Points - What Does Our Mixed Methods Study Reveal About the Role of the Built Environment in Youth Obesity?
- May 9, 2012: People and Policies: How do drug policies impact the health of our communities?
- April 5, 2012: 10 Years at the Crossroads: Health Research of the New Millennium
- February 13, 2012: Can We Talk? - About new visions for the North End
- February 6, 2012: Brushing up on Mouthcare:
Facilitating uptake of a daily oral care program in Continuing Care
- November 1, 2011: On the forefront of aboriginal health research: Exploring specific health needs of aboriginal communities
- October 31, 2011: Understanding oral health for the aging population
- October 17, 2011: Nova Scotia Health Research Foundation's FOCUS ON HEALTH RESEARCH
- October 14, 2011: Fall 2011-12 Graduate Seminar Series: Promoting health in an obesogenic environment:
challenges and opportunities
- August 22, 2011: Spotlight on Students
- July 5, 2011: Doing the research on your research grant
- June 7, 2011: Public Health in Canada: Innovative Partnerships for Action
- May 5, 2011: Public Talk and Discussion - Living the 'risk environment': Case studies in qualitative research on HIV and drugs
- May 3, 2011: Healthy schools, healthy kids
- April 11, 2011: 2011 Meeting at the Crossroads: Interdisciplinary Student Health Research Conference
- March 11, 2011: Government of Canada and Heart and Stroke Foundation take action on obesity
- January 20, 2010: Use and cost of health services among overweight and obese Canadian children
- January 4, 2010: Using Large-Scale Databases to Inform Social Science Research
- December 3, 2010: Research Award - TIME (Tools, Information, Motivation and Environment) for Health
- October 20, 2010: Café Scientifique Presents - Drug Addiction: It Hits Us All
- July 12, 2010: Kudos across campus
- June 11, 2010: Lecture by Dr. Paula Gardner The Public Life of Older People: Neighbourhoods and Networks
- May 31, 2010: Class of 2010: Debbie Martin, Doctor of Philosophy
- March 26, 2010: 2010 Meeting at the Crossroads: Interdisciplinary Student Health Research Conference